5.15.2011

Row row row your boat...

Gently down the stream. OR, paddle your ass off so you don't go for a swim in the FREEZING river! I just got back from a great quick getaway; whitewater rafting in the Nantahala River in North Carolina. I am already dreaming up plans for a return trip!

The weekend getaway was much needed! Ended up meeting quite a few new people and probably not the crowd of people that I normally hang around, but for the most part all of them were fun. I could have done without one or two of them. A group of 13 of us stayed in a 3 story "cabin" that was gorgeous and the view was AWESOME! I wish I could share the pics that I snapped from my phone...one day I'll figure it out. But off of the middle/main floor was a wrap around porch and you could sit out there and see the luscious mountains surrounding you.

Saturday we spent the morning whitewater rafting. Had to take two rafts and my raft was the fun raft...OF COURSE ;). We spent the three hour trip laughing, whooping up a storm, going down some of the rapids sideways or backwards (on purpose...gotta switch it up sometimes), trying to play bumper boats with the other groups raft(I don't think they liked that so much), and taking almost every comment someone said to a sexual place or just being very blunt. It was a BLAST! The only downside was the fact that the water was cold freezing. My feet were so cold that about 10 min in I couldn't feel them anymore and when we would hit a rapid sideways (felt like we always went my side leading the way) my entire bottom half would get drenched. You can imagine what other parts of my body temporarily lost feeling! But, freezing water temps aside, it was quite the fun experience and one I definitely want to do again and again and again.

That afternoon a small group of us went on a hike near our cabin (the majority stayed behind to enjoy the hot tub) and the views were breathtaking. Being surrounded by the beauty of nature is an intoxicating experience for me. Always has been for as long as i can remember. My racing thoughts take a time-out and I can just be in the moment. I imagine this is what meditating would feel like if I could just master it. I'm pretty sure the hike was the highlight of my trip. Don't get me wrong the rafting was f-ing amazing and fun, but I was in need of some soul soothing and the hike did the trick. I definitely need more soul soothing! I will be looking for good trails to explore closer to me.

Today Fiby has been making me suffer for having too much fun! A price I'm willing to pay to ENJOY my life. I'm just wishing that I could go a few hours without feeling anything...

2 comments: