6.12.2011

50 ?'s to free your mind...

I heard or rather read about these 50 ?'s to free your mind and was immediately intrigued. I quickly googled and then copy and pasted these thought provokers into my notes and there they have stayed for months. I from time to time will re-visit them in hopes that my brain will want to take a stab at actually answering some of these and each time I tap out. I think this is because I read each question and become overwhelmed? Possibly! Or, my brain is lazy. I have decided to take a new approach and will take this one question at a time. I will not search for the question that I feel most comfortable starting with and inevitably scare myself off from even starting to think about answering any of them.

So, here we go...the first question of the 50 that will hopefully "free" my mind.

1)Which is worse, failing or never trying?

I'm going to go with never trying! But, since this is about being 100 with yourself; I'm gonna call myself out and say that too often I have shied away from trying something in fear of failing! I think this is due to the fact that I'm a bit of a perfectionist and want to be the best at everything. I know that the fear of failing has held me back from what could have been awesome experiences or at the very least, a really funny story. Once I realized this I made a more conscience effort to kick that fears ass!

It is okay to try and fail! It can lead to some amazing learning experiences. Or, like I said some great belly laughing tales. Sure, sometimes you may feel a little bruised after your attempt ends in a big fat FAIL, but how boring to always sit on the sidelines of life to keep your ego intact?! I have adopted the laughing it off method when my attempts go awry. It works and burns calories!

Now, how amazing would I be if I always followed this method?! Super, but unfortunately I would also be a liar and well, liars are not cool in my book. So, yes, I have those moments when I've tried something (like casting the shrimp net) and was less than successful (but still pretty freaking good for my very first time mind you) and get frustrated (because it wasn't perfect) and want to throw my hands up in the air and stomp my feet like a two year old. I may curse and get snippy with whomever is lending kind tips of advice and deliver looks that could kill.I eventually end up reeling myself in, taking deep breaths and then try again with fierce determination. Yeah, I can be pretty ridiculous!

The point is I'm making more of an effort to try more things instead of letting fear grip me by the balls (metaphorically speaking of course! If we want to be more anatomically correct, I suppose I would say: instead of letting fear grip me by the labia? That would hurt). And, while the thought of failing will make my heart beat faster and my palms sweaty; the thought of never trying has become far more terrifying!

What about you...do you fear failing or never trying? I'm curious...

2 comments:

  1. i still haven't tackled one of these. my 1001 days are already going by too quickly!

    also, my biggest fear is failing. i can't even think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. also, i'm apparently anonymous.

    ReplyDelete