3.18.2011

A Gassy Situation...

no NOT the flatulent kind...

I'm sharing this recent discovery of mine just in case someone who has never used a gas oven before stumbles upon this.

About a week ago, on a Wednesday night, I'm sitting in bed (wasting time on facebook I'm sure) and enjoying the sound of the rain hitting my tin roof. I begin to notice this faint smell and not a pleasant one at that! It reminded me of a very strong earthy smell to begin with. Well, the rain IS pretty intense, so maybe it's stirring up some of the earth (right Brandy...you're smart).

The next day I get home from work and the smell has intensified and soaked into every room (okay so my house is technically one big room. It didn't have far to spread). With a look of disgust and desperately focusing on not losing my cookies, I walk around the house trying to pinpoint where this now rotting earth smell is coming from. The kitchen is where it seemed strongest. OBVIOUSLY, I assume there is a dead animal under my house because there is a hole leading to the outside in one of my kitchen cabinets (it's an old house okay)and that is where the smell could knock you out. Not even phased by the fact that the GAS OVEN is right next to said cabinet with the rotting dead animal.

The next few days I was praying the smell would just magically go away. Leaving windows open, lighting numerous candles and spraying nearly an entire can of febreeze all around the house. Sunday, I decided it was time to text (I hate actually calling people...lame I know) the landlord and let him know about the rotting animal. I also decided to try to sniff out the area again and while smelling by the cabinet heard a sort of hissing sound. Hmmmm...STRANGE! I followed the noise to my gas stove top and the smell is intensifying. YES...it's coming from the stove, why don't you breath some deeper breaths through our nose JUST TO MAKE SURE! Yep..that's it...look down...oh SHIT, this fucker has been on low for DAYS!

I'm lucky to say that I only suffered a severe headache for two days and slight humiliation at my stupidity! I now know if I start to smell rotting earth to check my stove first. Oh and NOT a good idea to light candles, spray febreeze, turn on lights, plug anything into the electrical outlets...unless you are a risk taker and want to chance your house exploding. Yeah and deciding to sleep in a house that has that awful smell could mean you WON'T be waking up!

I did all of the above. Well, besides becoming confetti or taking a permanent nap. GOD was protecting me and that I know for sure!!!


The lesson here kids: gas ovens are serious business and they produce awful smells when left on...or if you have a gas leak! And...GOD is GREAT!

P.s. I know that gas doesn't have a smell. It's just a chemical they put in it to let you know "hey I'm leaking and could kill you...DO something"!

No comments:

Post a Comment