10.17.2011

Happy 6 years...

I really should have written this post last month, but for whatever reason I wasn't really in the writing mood in September. Also, to be honest it didn't dawn on me until about a week ago or so that I had my 6 year anniversary!

Six years ago on a September morning I awoke with a raging headache (partly hungover and partly from a night spent crying my eyes out) and said my goodbyes to the boy I spent 6 years of my life with. I got into my car that held whatever personal items I could possibly shove into it and drove away from a life I had started to build in my first place.

I anticipated the feeling of a deep sadness growing with each hour that I drove further away from the life I had grown so accustomed to. Instead, each hour that passed another weight lifted and I had this feeling of freedom and excitement! I wasn't prepared for that at all and ironically enough my surge of happiness kind of made me sad. Strange how that happens, isn't it?

Later that evening we arrived to Charleston, SC, the city that welcomed me with open arms and took me on a wonderful journey! The city that brought me some of the best friends a girl could ask for. The place that I learned how to let go of an unhealthy relationship (the process wasn't always easy). The place where I finally realized the importance of making myself happy first. So many fun and memorable times and moments that I will always cherish! Charleston will always have a special place in my heart and thankfully I'm only 2 hours away and can visit whenever I want.

You're probably wondering why I would leave a place that I talk so highly of? That is how life works. It takes you on a journey and throws other options your way. I had a chance to make a good career decision and Hilton Head had an allure to it, so I chose to see where this new place would take me. I admit I hated it the first year and moved 15 minutes away to Bluffton the next year. Bluffton has been really good to me and I love this place as well!

Anyways, I'm getting slightly off track.

Six years ago I made the hardest and BEST decision of my life! I left my comfort zone and the person that I loved so very much. The person I fought to make it work with until I was just so emotionally exhausted and started losing sight of who I was. I thought I would crumble into a million pieces leaving him. I thought my stay would be a six month to a year experience and then we would get back together with a renewed love. That is until I got in my car and started driving. Until I arrived to this new place that immediately became my home. Until I realized that I completely lost who I was. What a great feeling it is to get yourself back again!

So, Happy 6 Years to my new life and what a glorious life it is...

No comments:

Post a Comment