10.23.2012

When you give you begin to live...

So, I've been told that I give too much of myself. That I allow myself to be taken advantage of. That I'm too nice! I used to hear those things and take them as criticism. That it was a bad thing to be a giver. Not anymore.

The beautiful thing about growing up is that you learn a lot about yourself and eventually you accept who YOU are! Some people may take slightly longer to come to this point than others, but I like to think that we all (okay, maybe just most) get there! I don't always have my shit together and definitely have moments where I allow people to make me second guess myself or decisions. I think that is normal. Just a part of life and growing. But, for the most part I am who I am and I like it!

I enjoy doing things for other people. If I love and care about you, chances are I'm going to go out of my way to do things for you. That's just who I am. Do not mistake this acceptance of who I am for ignorance. I know full well that this characteristic invites the takers into my life. They can probably spot me a mile away. I know this! I'm still okay with it. Not because I'm okay with people taking advantage of my generosities, but because I know that I can tell when it becomes too much for me.

I'm a giver, but I'm also a very selfish individual. Sounds a little oxymoron-ish, I know. It's just that I have this ability to also tell when I'm giving too much of myself. When I need to retract and soak in some time for myself. I enjoy the shit out of "me time". I need it and I don't apologize for ignoring the outside world from time to time. It's that whole balance thing that you hear people saying you need in your life.

The other nice thing about me is, I can spot someone who is abusing my giving nature (okay, it may take some time to really see it) and I have no problems with cutting them out of my life.

Bottom line: I'd rather have people remembering me for my giving nature than being a heartless bitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment